Before applying for art shows.
I just received a Call For Artists to an art show event and I thought it would be fun to share what some of the criteria I use to determine if I would apply.
All the art shows and events I choose to attend are juried art events. This means a person(s) who has a vast experience in evaluating art or are in the field and are well respected review the entries.
Here are some steps and good questions that can be asked:
- I look to see if there is past data and surveys from various sources regarding the event.
- How many years has it been running. I get nervous about events that are less then 3 years old because there is not much information to find.
- Is the event growing or contracting..
- What kind of foot traffic is in attendance?
- What is the demographic?
- What is the average sales price of the art work being displayed for sale?
All of these questions should be asked of the director or in the case of a very large event a knowledgeable staff member. Once you have gathered these answers you can make a knowledgeable decision on whether to apply to an event or not.
Very good advice Tammy. You are sharing good advice, keep it up.